installation problem

H-E-L-P, please.

Had Xywrite 4.017 DOS and Xywrite 4.1 for Windows installed in Win 3.1 &
then Win95. Have recently had an overall computer "upgrade" that
included Win98 (eliminated 3.1 & 95) and required re-installation of all
non-Gates software. I was time-short for a project, so only
re-installed Xywrite for DOS because I had been persuaded to give the
new MSWord a "fair, unbiased" trial on my next project - and Netcape.

I tried. I truly did. However, the last straw on a high pile was the
final message from Mr. Gates: a box that, in an exasperated tone,
informed me MSword was no longer going to indicate grammatical errors
with a green underline, nor correct my faulty spelling! (Thank you
Lord!) Had a witness who will confirm that I was sober.

The project included heavy re-write and light editing of an author's
manuscript that was based on taped psychotherapy sessions with an
incarcerated murderer. The author (who sat at my elbow) was determined
to keep her subject's "street" vernacular (i.e., "gonna," "hadda").
Gates was equally determined to correct it. Since I had typed (and
re-typed) over 88,000 words into MSword, I was not about to go through
the hassle of moving it into DOS, so I completed the last three months'
work in said program.

In retrospect, I don't know what aberration caused me to be persuaded to
use MSword. I was not totally unfamiliar with it. Except -- had had a
"discussion" with the computer "expert" who was upgrading my system, who
had used XYwrite many years ago, and who insisted that MS was "vastly
improved," that XYwrite couldn't possibly match the Gate's product's
many advantages for writers & editors, and that it was about time I
re-examined the new world of updated, upgraded, word processor programs,
led by MSword -- by giving the product a fair, open, unbiased trial with
a full project and not even reference XYwrite.

Anyway, now that the project has been completed, it was with some
eagerness that I blocked time to install Xywrite 4.1 for Windows into
Win98.

The first problem was a report the it could not "read drive E", which I
assumed would be correctable after installation - so I proceeded.
However, a "protection message" forced me to abort the installation.
When I pressed for details, there was a reference to a conflict with
"users.exe".

Is there a way around the situation? (It seems to me that each windows
upgrade is exponentially worse than its predecessor!) I have ordered
the beta version of Smart Words, but, after chatting with George, I
don't expect to receive it until mid-summer.

My apology for sounding off & for being so long-winded.

In advance: I thank you.

-Catlyn