Re: XYWRITE digest 1454

Patricia Godfrey wrote:

> Robert: How does your backup routine get around the fact that if you're
> running XCOPY from a DOS Window in Windows, certain files cannot be
> copied because they're running, but if you run it from a rebooted DOS
> prompt you cannot (from 98 on) copy the read-only, hidden, and system
> files? (Talk about Catch-22!)

I've got Win98 and I've used xcopy32 a number of times in a Dos box to
copy one whole disk to another - then rebooted from the second one with
not one single problem. I even wrote a batch file to do a little
optimising of the operation. (One of the things xcopy32 can do is copy
the (whole) directory tree before starting on the files. I don't know
if it makes any difference to speed but it presumably reduces disk head
movement.)

I also regularly mirror my working hard disk to another one using
a Windows program then drop into a dos box and xcopy32 the Windows
folder - to pick up the files the Windows' copy didn't do.

John

Etudiant: Wanadoo t'offre le Pack eXtense Haut Débit soit 150,92 euros
d'économies ! Clique ici : http://www.ifrance.com/_reloc/mail.etudiant