Re:

Carl wrote:
Try swapping in a backup copy of your U2 file. (You do keep
backups, don't you? Especially if you're going to "fool around"
like this.)

Any luck?
Indirectly. It led me to the source of the problem--and the answer may be
of general interest. The problem was not in Xy but in Windows 98. Somehow
it got into a state in which, despite all iterations of Xy being quit out
of, it thought Xy was open and U2 in use.
I found this out when I tried--in DOS, not Xy--to copy the backup U2 to
overwrite the current U2. "Access denied." Then I just tried to delete the
current U2. No could do. So I used the all-purpose solution: a re-boot of
system. Problem solved.
I'm about to jump ship (the ship of Windows) and run Xy only from my Mac,
under VPC. I won't get rid of the Windows-Xy problems this way, but at
least I'll get rid of my non-Xy Windows problems, which are continual.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx