Re:

Why run windoze under VPC when you can just run DOS and Xy under that?

David Auerbach
Department of Philosophy & Religion
Box 8103
NCSU
Raleigh, NC 27695-8103
On Dec 13, 2004, at 6:42 PM, Harry Binswanger wrote:
Carl wrote:
Try swapping in a backup copy of your U2 file. (You do keep
backups, don't you? Especially if you're going to "fool around"
like this.)

Any luck?
Indirectly. It led me to the source of the problem--and the answer may
be of general interest. The problem was not in Xy but in Windows 98.
Somehow it got into a state in which, despite all iterations of Xy
being quit out of, it thought Xy was open and U2 in use.
I found this out when I tried--in DOS, not Xy--to copy the backup U2
to overwrite the current U2. "Access denied." Then I just tried to
delete the current U2. No could do. So I used the all-purpose
solution: a re-boot of system. Problem solved.
I'm about to jump ship (the ship of Windows) and run Xy only from my
Mac, under VPC. I won't get rid of the Windows-Xy problems this way,
but at least I'll get rid of my non-Xy Windows problems, which are
continual.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx