Re: Another use for batch spelling

Yes, but remember that this method only produces an index of names or
unique words. A full index requires marking ideas that may not be
expressed explicitly in the text. In addition to the formatting twist
mentioned by E. J. Inggs, I seem to recall that hyphenated names
("Faur?-Fremiet") require some extra work, too, as do "Inggs, E. J."
versus "Inggs, C. E.," which will both be cumulated under "Inggs" in the
automatic index. If you had a book in which you wrote about Henry James,
William James, and William James, Sr., hand-editing of the index markers
≪x1≫ would be extensive.

All this is not to denigrate the valuable index trick but to warn anyone
against thinking that compiling a good index is ever easy or automatic.

One other problem: XyWrite's internal limitations on memory sometimes
prevent you from generating an index across large files. This happened to
me with a five-chapter dissertation, and I had to give up the idea of an
index. You can only shorten the sorting parameter so much before you
start losing distinctions between entries. I would have been reduced to
indexing each chapter separately. I decided to give up the idea, but I
think I would try it again since I know in advance what the limitations
are.

Carlo Caballero