Re: PostScript de faqto

<<	[A]re y'all trying to drive a nail with a screwdriver? Wouldn't a
tried and true DTP program like the last DOS version of XVP be an easier,
softer way to go? --Lee Hickling

Lee--An argument could be made for the advantages of using one app for
all tasks, and xyWrite is better equipped than most to handle them all.
But I won't make the arg, because I champion using the right tool for the
job and I use xyW 3. Not least because I use a dtp-tilted graphical word
processor or Quark for dtp work, my system is standardized on PS. Font
quality matters to me, so I consider True Type a proliferating nuisance,
and I'm not about to buy non-Type 1 fonts exclusively for xyWrite, which
I use primarily as a front end. I don't print much from xyW except
correspondence: My !GS macro optionally folds in my (CorelDraw)
letterhead and once in a while I drop in a CD eps file. Same fb< serves
all.

As a front end, xyW + software PS interpreter with screen driver = one
wicked PostScript IDE. I also use this combination to tweak PS files
Quark and my graphical wp generate. All drivers are real dumb, and I
print to disk from both apps, load xyWrite, and run xpl that cuts an
enormous amount of redundant coding (and printing time) from the soure
code. The xpl also adds procedures to the graphical wp prolog that expand
the typographical capabilities--e.g., prints unfilled chars, which the
app can't do on its own. 	--a