Re: XY, Vista, choices

J R FOX wrote:
 By mistake, I
recently bought a Logitech wireless optical mouse that
offered only XP drivers -- nothing earlier available
on their website. The packaging was thrown out, and
since I can't return it I may just donate it
somewhere. That sort of thing really annoys me. I
have various earlier models of theirs that work quite
well with any computer you are likely to encounter,
regardless of what it is running. It's just that in
this particular case, I happened to be looking for one
that was super small.
Did you try the XP drivers? With current ATI drivers, for example, they show support for Vista and XP, no Windows 2000, but all I have tried work fine with W2k. If they simply won't install there is another trick, which I don't have details of to hand but which involves editing the MSI file because sometimes the drivers or software won't load simply because the instructions in the MSI file tell it not to load unless it meets one of the specified operating systems. This is not difficult, but you need to search on the internet for the details. (I used this to get the last version of Virtual PC from Microsoft to run on w2k, which it is not supposed to run on. It simply involved one small change to the file and now I have a version that will install under W2k.)

Paul