Re: coming back to xywrite

For what it's worth, I got Xywrite 4.12 for Windows after using the
earlier version with Windows 3.1 and earlier in DOS since the mid-1980s,and
it seems to work even better .... much faster and not so many crashes,
although I still get a few toggling back and forth between the HP printer
and the Trio faxmode setup.

Xywin 4.12 comes with a fat manual, but I find myself using the help file.
It covers everything but protection violation, which is not in the manual
either.

It's easy to zoom, it has a zoom function like Acrobat.

OK, now, how do you save simultaneously to your hard drive and a floppy?

At 05:23 PM 4/16/1999 EDT, you wrote:
>attachment
>After using Xywrite for seven or eight years, I started using Windows98
and Word97 last August; they came with a new computer.

>Now I think I have to get back to Xywrite, but I have some questions that
I hope you can help me with.

>It seems to boil down to whether I can use XyDos4.014 with Windows98 or if
I have to use XyWindows. Xy4.014 is still on my old computer; the diskettes
are updates. My computer is a Dell Inspiron 3200 laptop.

>Background: I am a freelance writer and basically need a word processor,
Xywrite's ability to simultaneously save to hard disk & floppy each time I
save, large type on screen, and some simple math to do my bookkeeping.

>[1] Is there a way to get XyDos 4.014 to work with Windows98 to permit me
to fool around with on-screen fonts and zooms in order to enlarge the type
on the screen? I was able to do this on the old computer only by using
graphic view, which was intolerably jumpy as it moved from line to line. As
far as I know I was using Dos and never used the Windows 3.1 that came with
the old computer.

>[2] If I have to go with XYWindows, what are the bugs and glitches I
should be aware of? I'm still kinda traumatized by my encounter with Word
and would like to know what I am in for with XYWindows.
>  --are XYWindows' bugs and glitches easily fixable, or will I have to
devote a second career to them?

>[3] Does XyWindows come with adequate manuals? Word's manuals and Help
Menus kept me using tech phone support for tutorials, and I don't think I
could start all that again even if Xywrite were to permit it.

>[4] Simple math: Xy4.014 allowed me to calculate by selecting numbers with
alt+, and totaling with alt=. Does XyWindows use the same method (or
something equally simple), or will I have to set up tables as in Word?

>[5] The few times I needed tables in XY 4.014, the program was skittish;
an Xy tech told me table used too much RAM or some such. Is XyWindows any
better?

>[6] I have already converted more than half of my old files to Word (had
no choice); am I going to have trouble converting them back into Xywrite?

>[7] I seem to be ending all correspondence these days with the following
non-Xy query: Does anyone know of any voice recognition software in
existence or in the works that recognizes the voices of strangers? I
interview tons of people I never have spoken to before and never expect to
speak to again, and an old injury is making note-taking increasingly nerve
wracking.

>Many thanks for your help
>
>Judith Davidsen

Tony G.