Re: U2 version 119

There is a settings.dfl deep in xy4\pictures\orig that has an sl=50. I don't know what orig is or where it came from but it has a handful of old settings files, a startup and a kbd; maybe I created it as a place to hide superceded things and forgot about it, maybe
OK, I think you can DELete those files. Clearly, they're not called by STARTUP.INT, never referred to, so dump them.
Done
So let's assume that you have set XyWrite's own variables consistently for 25 lines -- it sounds like you've done that.
And the entire c: drive for sl=50. Nada
Let's henceforth desist entirely from launching XyWrite via Start ==> Run; that's not a good procedure. The Properties attached to a Desktop Shortcut give you a great deal of flexibility, so use the Shortcut instead!
Okay.
It seems to me that the 25-line Window Size (and Screen Buffer) Height in those Properties hasn't really "taken" or "stuck". So do this: create one of those DIR displays where your cursor disappears out of sight below the bottom of the (25-line) screen. Alt-Enter so that XyWrite is running (if it isn't already) in a Desktop Window.
Okay
Does the screen actually display 25 lines, or more?
22 in the text area + cml, status line and ruler
Command: VA/NV SL and *also* VA/NV $SL (add dollar sign in the second command). Do *both* commands return "25"? They should.
They don't. Both return 50.
Now click on the window's little upper-left icon. Down at the bottom of the context menu that results you should see two entries: Defaults and Properties. I want you to check the "Layout" tab in *both* of these dialogs: are all Heights set to 25?
We set these both to 25 a few days ago, and they were still 25 when I opened them earlier today. > If one or more aren't 25, change them to 25, then "Apply" and answer "Yes" if FYI, neither defaults nor properties has an "apply" button or a "permanent" query. Just an ok button.
if queried as to whether to make this "Permanent" for ALL sessions, not just the current session. Then close XyWrite and relaunch (from the Shortcut icon). Check again: are all Heights still set to 25?
Yep. I owe you answers to one more of your emails last night/early this morning.
Preparatory to getting printing to work, get a *fresh copy* of POSTGHST.PRN dated 6 Sept 2005: http://holmgren.home.acedsl.com/postghst.zip (also at:) http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/postghst.zip
Got it the other day. Haven't unzipped it yet. Again, thanks. Judith