Re: Can't open Xy in XP -- A thousand THANK YOUS!!!

Harry Binswanger wrote:
Does anyone know whether I should leave these copies of system files (autoexec.nt, etc.) Read/Write?
I don't yet know (the new XP box at the office is still in limbo,
awaiting an electrician to supply an additional circuit so we don't
have to take an existing PC offline to run it) whether they should or
should not be changeable, but you can back them up. IIRC, Authoexec.nt
is a plain text file that you could print from Wordpad.

Earlier, Jay wrote:

≪I don't have a CD from the manufacturer,≫
Horrors! Look, folks, do NOT, ever, buy a PC that doesn't have a Windows CD with it (assuming you're running Redmond Rubbish, as most of us must; unless, of course, you have your own copy). Personally, I wouldn't even settle for a restore CD; I want the real install CD--and not one so customized that it will only run on that manufacturer's PC, so that if it dies I have to get a new copy of the opsys. If you're already stuck with such a piece of crippleware, get Norton Ghost or Acronis TrueImage and burn an image of your C: drive instanter. Repeat the process anytime you change anything or install new hardware or software. (Be sure to label it correctly, so you know which is which). Maybe System Restore works (it didn't in Win ME[ss], which is the only place I tried it: whenever we needed it, it couldn't find the restore point we'd just set), but what happens if you absolutely have to reformat C?
I have True Image and have been quite pleased with it so far, and it got
rave reviews. I have found other Norton products flaky in the extreme,
and have read of problems with Ghost.

Verb. sap. sat.

Patricia M. Godfrey