Re: notes on Speedo fonts

I am attaching a Regular and Bold Speedo Century
Thanks, Manuel. I have tried calling my friend at Bitstream (I am the
designer of Bitstream News Gothic in the multiple master format) but he
hasn't been around the past couple of days. I'll let you know as soon as I
find out more. It does appear that the Speedo format has been changed
somewhat.
The problem with getting more Speedo fonts is that one is still stuck with
the Speedo format. Postscript and TrueType are still preferable. It would
be nice if there were a version of XyWrite that printed fine under Windows
_and_ did nice things like kerning.
One thing which would be interesting would be to investigate the effect of
Microsoft's ClearType technology (built into XP but must be enabled) on
Speedo. ClearType works best on LCD monitors, but really does a phenomenal
job on those, using anti-aliasing tricks (pioneered by the Apple IIe) to
obtain something close to the appearance of 600 dpi screen resolution.
What it would do to Speedo fonts I can't imagine but would probably help.
I can't imagine the Nota Bene people spending much time to improve
XyWrite's type composition capabilities (auto kerning, better H&J,
easy-to-set leading, tracking, manual kerning, accurate on-screen
rasterization, etc.) but it seems to me that this could only enhance its
market.