Re: Woof

I don't think the people in the home office appreciate the uses to which we've
adapted this product when they set about to "improve" it. I spent a year
coaxing and prodding version 4 to do the things I'd done in version 3.
I finally abandoned the effort (and the product) when it appeared to me that
TTG intended to devote their resources elsewhere. Despite the nifty new xpl
commands, here's a list of what kept me away from version IV:

failure to preserve the decimal accuracy when adding a column of numbers.
eg, 1.00 + 2.00 = 3.00 when added in III (using SM SM DT), but = 3. in IV.

quirky refresh of cmd line. Sometimes lose the window number box, the file
name, and sometimes get a lingering image of the top of the last L frame.

failure of the prompt line to clear at the next function call is distracting.
Requires re-coding of xpl routines to end with a  call.

absolute Y movement of formatted output. In III I can use PI cmd to send
printer code to back up 3 (or whatever) lines and then go from there. I know
this is related to the graphic display capacity, but I'd like to be able to
disable graphic display (I don't even load the screen fonts). Graphic display
is of little value when the text includes PF or IS commands.

Can't get the proper horizontal spacing after a substitution character. If I
substitute a string of hex codes to create a little bitmap character and
assign the string to some character in the substitution file(s) and then
insert a tab following the character, the horizontal movement craps out.
Can't overcome the problem by assigning the character a width in the width
table. And certain substitution characters (eg a small box) are meant to
have no width so that the next character (like a checkmark or counter)
appear within the box when printed rather than to the right of it -
again - can't do that here.

Can't use numbered mode commands to invoke printer features. Instead of MD10
to invoke bold floating underline, I have to use a specific printer code to
start it and another to stop it and then add the bold attribute, and then
have no visual signal on the screen that the text is underlined. Some
mode colors (e.g. red) are used in our office to signal something (like
a negative balance in a ledger sheet) but print normally. Can't do that
anymore. Although I've seen nothing produced by the editor that takes
advantage of the additive mode scheme, the former functionality is replaced
by something in the menuing system I have no use for.

The last version of IV we fooled around with permitted an "f" frame in a U2
file, but the user had to move or tab to the selection, rather than just
invoke the action by hitting key that corresponds to the bolded letter of
the menu.

I thought the extensive default file would reduce the number of commands
necessary in the document, but IV requires more formatting commands than III.
Eg PT1 in III takes 3 commands in IV (font, size and character set). And
defaults like top and bottom margins and page width interfere with
forms set up for landscape printing or forms not containing headers or
footers - but needing all the page area.

Can't change the initial value of the offset anymore. Used to be able to
create a deed form with a "prepared by" header box at the top of the form
with no offset, and then offset the body of the document following the
header - can't do that no more.

this is an odd one: in the xpl program I use to navigate directories, when a
directory is displayed on screen, an enter with the cursor on a file name
calls the file, an enter on ".." or  name brings up the parent or
sub directory. Works an unlimited number of times in III, but
crashes predictably on the fourth iteration under IV. (and an ascii 175
is dumped at the top of the screen). Like I said - odd - quirky.

I guess I could learn to live without some of the speed and utility I've
become accustomed to. I could reformat a dozen years worth of forms and
client data I suppose. But what for? What would I gain?
The 64k "can't scroll display" limit? The trade-off is an intolerable
wait while IV spools to disk. Thanks but no thanks.

Apologies for the long post. I'm sure alot of this stuff will induce
shrugging shoulders.

Joe Solla
d012362c@xxxxxxxx