Woof

≪Something happened to XyWrite between releases 3.xx and 4.xx. Whatever
it was, it was a turn downhill in terms of real functionality. I believe
it had to do with IBM's acquisition of the product from XyQuest.≫
--Peter | Peter Feldmann

Whether XW is a dog or whether functionality has suffered depends on what
uses you make of the product. I was one of the developers of the interface
of Xy4 and XyW. I arrived at Xyquest after being a professional writer and
editor for about 20 years. Many of the new features in Xy4 are there because
I found them useful as a writer.

Some of the new features are not so good. Column tables are easier to set up
but still a bit fragile. It's nice to be able to insert pictures, but XyW
sometimes crashes in the process. And resizing/cropping/etc. in Xy4 is a
pain. But I really like most of the menu system and the fact that I can
bypass it for simple stuff. And I've continued to refine the DOS version's
menus and dialogs on my own -- you can download them free from this forum.
 They include file stacking, search command stacking, a super
search-and-retrieve utility, and a very well integrated PKZIP shell, among a
few dozen new features.

My engineering colleagues made XPL much richer, too, so that you can do a lot
more.

"Real" functionality? Depends on what is "real" in your daily work. I use
Xy4Dos every day, almost all day. I don't think I could go back to 3plus,
but that's *my* reality!

Tim Baehr