Re: Translation

** Reply to message from Correo Fenda  on Wed, 09 Nov
2005 11:29:56 +0100

> 1. A frame, TRANSLATE, to be included at the end of

or anywhere in

> the U2 file. This
> version translates months and days to Spanish but it's perfectly
> possible to use Italian, French, German, etc. names instead of the
> Spanish ones (for months and days).

Or translate "Yes" into "No", "Delphine" into "Dan". NBWin
users may want to
change "evolution" to "intelligent design". Whatever.

There are a lot of reasons why this frame isn't part of U2:
-- it requires manual adjustment and customization by each user (programming
skill! albeit rudimentary)
-- it needs to be plugged-in to U2 in appropriate places only, and only by a
few people, not everybody
-- it requires that a Save/Get 50 input string be present
-- it has limits: source and translate lists of words and phrases that are
*not too long* -- say, 100 words/phrases or less (otherwise it may lead to OOM,
and/or slow you down)
-- it has a simplistic approach to lower|UPPER case source, which will not
always translate accurately (e.g. "SeNsItIvE" would be problematic)
-- it's a bandaid for specific problems, not an elegant encompassing solution
-- it wasn't thoroughly debugged (I had to make a little fix for Manuel)

Among other things, don't change frame TODAY unless you have a good reason.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx