Re: email choice

Thanks to all who gave advice in response to my query about emailers
last week.

I went with Thunderbird 1.0.7, and Firefox for the browser just
because it was convenient. So far, so good. Email--received,
sent, put in folders--all arrives on the hard drive as well as in
the email box. (Earthlink keeps it on a server for a while, but
that's only a
concern if I'm away, or if someone sends an attachment so huge
that it's jamming up all the email behind it.)

Thunderbird 1.5 RC 1: is a "preview" for developers and "early
adopters;" I read this to mean beta.

Patricia wrote:
> Another thing I like about Firefox is that it lets you specify
> WHERE the folder that you save your e-mails is. Which means I
> can put it on e:, with all my other data files (as opposed to
> opsys and applications), and back it up regularly.

Does this mean you just get to choose the drive, or that you can
set the program to automatically place your email in any folder
you want, rather than in some sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-subfolder in
Documents & Settings that takes half an hour to access in Xy? I
would dearly love it all to land automatically in something like
c:\email.

> Word wrap sometimes gets scrambled with this too, but I need
> to upgrade to the latest version and haven't gotten around to
> it yet.

Wrap on the version I have (see above) is pretty bad. However,
Thunderbird is customizable, so maybe *that's* what we have to
get around to.

Harry wrote:
> I like Eudora. It keeps two files for every mailbox (e.g., "In"
> "Out" and the ones you make up). One is a plain text file,
> editable in XyWrite, which has all the contents of that mailbox
> in it. E.g., IN.MBX.
Where on the hard drive does IN.MBX get deposited? (See first query above to Patricia.)

Again, thanks.
Judith Davidsen