Re: Norm's keyboard problem...

This is actually a 32-bit Network Client problem. We at Tyndale House discovered this several years ago. Our solution was to switch to Xy4 (although, sadly, Editorial switched to Word 6 around the time I left that department), which doesn't have the memory conflict with Client 32. The problem you describe is not just with BC; *any* keystroke with more than one function or character assigned to it "gets stuck" until another keystroke pushes both out.

I don't have my old Emails on the topic anymore, but if you check the archives you should find a lot
of material of valule.

--Timothy Olson
TLO@xxxxxxxx
(630) 784-5327

>>> "Scott Berkley"  04/02/01 04:26PM >>>
Oh and I should have mentioned, we're trying to run Xy3+ in a windows 95 frame. Thanks.

This seems to be related to a Xy3+ bug we have, in which keyboard commands with BC before them seem
to pause, and only work after the next key stroke is pressed. I've tried renaming Tables and
(deleting or adding!) NI commands to no avail.

any suggestions? Thanks, Scott

Timothy Olson wrote:

> Something similar to this was discussed on the list a couple years ago. If memory serves, Robert's solution of renaming one's keyboard tables does the trick. For some reason, having names like "CTRL" "ALT" etc. increases the likelihood of Windows "holding on" to them. So the solution is to change those appellations in the keyboard file. So for example instead of the line "CTRL=29,99" change it to "CHARLIE=29,99" then for CTRL table, change it from "TABLE=CTRL" to "TABLE=CHARLIE". Make similar changes for the other key definitions and their corresponding tables. The names don't matter as long as they're the same in the definition and again in the table designation. I just use "CHARLIE" here because it starts with the same letter and will be easier to interpret whenever you look at your keyboard file in the future.

Indeed! That issue, however, had nothing to do with Windows. This is a known bug that dates back to
DOS days and is discussed by Herb Tyson. I recall redoing my 3+ keyboard in a similar manner. I have
never noticed this bug in version 4 for DOS, however. Perhaps it is somehow connected with the
problem of XyWrite v. Netscape? Hmm and hmmm . . .

lb136@xxxxxxxx
61 W. 62 St, NYC 10023
212-459-0600 X7109 (phone) 212-459-3677 (fax)