Re: Dos Box creepers and more

Fredric Gross wrote:

> The DOS virtual drives are C:, D:,
> E: & F:.

I hope this does not come across as overly pedantic, but several of us have been
chided before in this forum over vague or imprecise terminology. To me,
"virtual drive" means a RAMdisk, which, insofar as I know, has not been an
option in the Win world post W-98. I think that these are all "real" drives,
albeit some of them logical drives, however the drive-lettering scheme may be
processed by different OSes.

> The W95 virtual drive is beyond the ken of DOS.

That would be because Win of that vintage used FAT-32 partitions as a default,
which DOS can't see without a special driver. There are other reasons DOS can't
see some drives, such as partitions that extend out beyond either the 8Gig mark
or cross a 1024 cylinder boundary.

> However, when in W95, the W95 virtual drive identifies itself as C:,

So it must be a Primary (physical) partition, possibly an alternate C:.

> and renames the DOS C: drive as G:.

That's the part that confuses me. Maybe something to do with your boot manager
utility.

> when running W95, I am able to read from and write to each of my DOS virtual
> drives.

As long as you can do that, you're in business.

Jordan