Re: Xy on New PCs; icon; path

At 11/8/2002 10:53 AM -0500, : Patricia M Godfrey wrote:
I begin to see what Robert means about the same old same old, but here
goes again: Michael is planning to get a new PC at home and wonders about
getting Xy to work with Gates' latest garbage...
And she goes on to suggest a vanilla machine on which one can install a new
copy of W98SE. This seems a solid alternative. However, what Robert was
suggesting with Tame is not the same ole, same ole, but rather, a wrinkle,
which, if it works, would be a simple way to get Xy to work in an XP DOS
box. And that would save a lot of work. Also, if I remember his e-mail on
OS's correctly, he said, if one is using, or has to use, Gates Garbage, he
prefers the latest, or XP. Corrigenda aside, I'm likely to go with a DELL
because my employer gets great pricing and financing on that brand and
supports DELL hardware. As I look at the e-mails I've archived and think
back on the posts on this issue across the last several months, there seem
to be several alternatives to the upgrade problem: 1. Go with a
three-goats-and-a-carabao box and install W98SE fresh. 2. Partition an XP
machine and install W98SE. 3. Indulge in an expensive OS emulator. 4. In XP
use Xy full screen or wait to see if the TAME program can be tweaked to
make XY work in the box. Each of these requires work and tweaking. Perhaps
the best way to ask for help troubleshooting an upgrade problem that you
think might have been dealt with here earlier is to ask for help off-list
-- which is what I plan to do when I have to finally make the switch on the
second machine. Meanwhile, thank you Patricia. I'm going to play it safe
and get a fresh W98SE today.

Michael Norman