Re: Type Styles

Because I want to do what Jim Eberle wants to do, and XY4 doesn't do it, I
have replaced the normal CTRL-number key assignments with little programs
like this one for italics:

DX ≪SX82,≪VA$DT≫≫≪SX83,≪VA$DN≫≫XP ≪IF≪PV83≫==0≫;*;
≪MD+IT≫≪MD-IT≫CL CL CL CL CL CL CL ≪GLend≫≪EI≫DB ≪MD+IT≫;*;
DE ≪MD-IT≫CR ≪LBend≫≪IF≪PV82≫==1≫WG ≪EI≫≪IF≪PV82≫==2≫SP
≪EI≫;*;
≪IF≪PV82≫==4≫WZ ≪EI≫DO ES ≪EX1≫
;; ITAL.PGM (N. Sivin)
;; inserts markup whether or not block selected;
;; 82=display type, 83=0 if no block selected

where what look like two-letter combinations followed by a space are PFUNC
commands *not* followed by a space, and the double angle brackets are
guillemets.

If nothing is selected, this inserts a pair of mode markers with the cursor
in between. If anything is selected, this puts the mode markers around it,
no matter where the cursor is. Note that instead of using the built-in
≪MDIT≫ and ≪MDNM≫ pair, I use ≪MD+IT≫ and ≪MD-IT≫. Among other
things, it immensely simplifies conversion to other formats.

For anyone who isn't used to this sort of interference with the course of
nature, you store this and similar programs where you want them, say in
\PATH, and put in your keyboard, on the CTRL-5 key,

ni,BX,r,u,n, ,C,:,\,P,A,T,H,\,I,T,A,L,.,P,G,M,Q2
N. Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania
nsivin@xxxxxxxx