Re: attachment acrimony

-> I guess I better get the rule book out...I
-> don't even know what a "total PITA" is...does
-> it have anything to do with Jack-in-
-> the-Box's attempt at fusion cuisine -- the
-> Fajita Pita? - Nikki Meredith

A PITA is a pain in the fajita.

-> Should I refrain from bringing my xywrite
-> problems to this group unless I've read and
-> memorized the rules and unless I'm willing
-> to save, study and understand all previous
-> e-mails?

You're expected to read and comport with the Welcome
text, which sets forth a few basic rules of usage and
courtesy. In this respect, this list is no different
from any other mailing list. The latest version of the
Welcome text is always available at
http://users.datarealm.com/ammaze/xylist/; follow the
"Welcome Message" link. Please bookmark this page,
which includes a useful summary of list processor
commands.

Obviously, you're not expected to "save, study and
understand all previous e-mails". But it's not too much
to ask (as the Welcome doc does) that you search the
archives before posting a basic question that may well
have been answered many times before. This is a
volunteer effort, and we all have better things to do
than regurgitate past advice.

(Unfortunately, as of a few months ago, the searchable
archives at U.Pa. only go back to the beginning of 1999;
however, thanks to Jon Inggs, the archives for 1994-98
will soon be available for downloading at XyWWWeb.)

I appreciate your concern about the tone of some posts
and I'm anxious that the list continue to be a resource
(and a hospitable environment) for XyWriters at all
levels of experience. My hope is that that we can cool
the flames and restore the spirit of collegiality and
common cause that usually prevails in this space.

The standard advice on this subject is hackneyed but
true: Compose every post as though it will be quoted
with attribution on the front page of your local
newspaper, and you'll probably strike the right tone.

Carl Distefano
CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/