Re: Xy under OS/2 (Was: running xy 3+ under windows xp - aarrgghhh!)

** Reply to message from "Chris Madsen"  on Mon, 23
Jun 2003 11:05:54 -0400

> The decision to use VB was based on Kenny Frank's plan to eventually port
> everything to MS Werd.

That makes sense! Buy a word processor in order to port everything to M$Wierd.
How shrewd.

> The memory problem is indeed overcome, but as I understand it,
> that limitation was taken care of anyway by changes to the editor code.

Maybe it was overcome in SmartWords, but it isn't overcome in NBWin. If
anything, it's worse.

> Now, why would you want to decompile the code? That's reverse engineering,
> which is forbidden by the copyright notice.

Just testing the decompiler. Wouldn't yield much useful info anyway -- I need
to see a whole script. Besides, most of the VB files are libraries of
routines, aren't they? I assume a call like "VBX 0,76" means to call routine
#76 in file #0 (presumably SWMAIN). If that's true, then without the complete
source to SWMAIN, or at least some knowledge of what the function calls are,
you're nowhere. It beats me why this sort of thing would be kept secret, or
not made accessible to the user. Violates the whole spirit of XyWrite -- which
was shaping your own personal word processor!

Leslie: "[Frank] said that since few people knew XPL and many knew VB, he was
going to add VB functions to Smart Words."

Well, let's see. To write and run interpreted VB scripts, you need to own VB
-- which only costs hundreds of dollars. The free VB runtime only runs
compiled scripts (I assume). Visual Basic for Applications interpreted scripts
only work with M$ products. Brilliant. Just brilliant.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx