Code pages

Even though Robert has dubbed me of the shaven head, I have another problem.
Yes, I read and followed Robert's instructions in I have tested both in Tame-Xy and regular Xy but I can't seem to change the code page from 437 to 850.
My specific problem is that reading German text in Xy (whether in a window
or fullscreen) under Tame or not gives me things like bracketed
numbers--e.g., for "fur" (with umlaut over the u) I get f[252]r. Or instead
of the umlauted second "a" in "Moralitat" I get a capital sigma. When I
paste the text from Xy into Eudora, I see the "proper" accents, as below
(if this comes through):

Moralität
When I command (again whether in window or fullscreen) D LA==850, I get no error message but VA/NV $CP continues to show 437. Actually, I see that SETTINGS.DFL already has DF LA=850 but it apparently isn't "taking."

(I have been able to successfully experiment with VGA.COM in non-Tame-DOS.)

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx