Re: XW and XP Pro

Juan Hovey wrote:
Can somebody fill me in on installing XyWrite 4.12 on Windows XP Pro? I used
XyWrite all the time years ago and recently found my original disks, but
although I managed to copy them onto my hard drive, I get an error message
saying "unable to continue installing XyWrite because of incompatibilities
with your system or its current configuration." Thanks in advance!
First of all, you want to update to version 4.18, which fixed a Year
2000 bug. Try Bry Henderson's XyWrite.com, or VetusWare.com to
download the latest version.
Then, don't try to "install"; the version you download should have all
the files you need. Just copy them into a directory on your hard
drive, and copy the subdirs in the download too. You will then have to
fix settings.dfl and startup.int to reflect your existing drive and
directory structure, but Xy should load, even though at first you will
get lots of error messages until those fixes are done. Then go to
xywwweb.com, and download U2. This set of XPL routines, written by our
esteemed gurus, Carl and Robert, offers an incredibly wealth of
additional functions (including a way to print to ANY kind of printer,
and export Xy docs as PDFs).
If you don't like the appearance of your screen, or have problems with
keeboard responsivenes ("jerky cursor"), search the XyWWWeb archive
(XySearch, toward the bottom of the page) for TAME, a useful add-on
for this and other DOS apps running under XP. Good luck, anad welcome.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx