Re: XW and XP Pro

Reply to note from "Patricia M. Godfrey"  Sat,
09 Dec 2006 18:54:23 -0500

Patricia:

> First of all, you want to update to version 4.18, which fixed a
> Year 2000 bug.

That's version 4.018, point OH one eight, for DOS. I _think_ the
original poster was talking about XyWrite for Windows -- at least
that's what I infer from his reference to version 4.12. The Y2K bug
fix for XyWin is version 4.13, available here:

http://www.xywrite.com/ttg/y2k/win3xwin.zip

There are potentially insuperable problems installing XyWin on XP;
at least, they were insuperable for me. (IIRC, at least one person
here has managed it, but I haven't combed through old posts to chase
down who.) The answer, if all else fails (and maybe even if it
doesn't), is to upgrade to Nota Bene for Windows. Cheap, it isn't,
and the academic paraphernalia may be overkill for the typical XyWin
user, but the editing engine is XyWrite to the core, and, in its
current iteration, version 8, it purrs. If the question is which
version of XyWin will run reliably on XP, the answer is NB8.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx