Re: SAveTo question.

M.W. Poirier wrote:
>>From XYWWWEB.REG
>
> [SAveTo]
> ;Normal SAve:
> SAveTo.1=BX sa/nvQ2 BX waitQ2
> ;SAve To FireWire example:
> SAveTo.2=BX exist F:\XY4\*.*Q2 BX sa/nv F:\XY4\ Q2 BX waitQ2 <--- 1
> ;SAve To remote FTP dir:
> SAveTo.3=JM 2.putftpQ2
> ;Save To Hard Drive and Memory Stick:
> SAveTo.4=BX exist C:\xy4\docs\*.*Q2 BX sa/nv H:\files\ Q2 BX waitQ2 <--- 2
>
> If line identified as 1 is correct, what is wrong with the line that is
> identified as 2, ...which was lifted from the relevant section of
> XYWWWEB.INF file, the only modifications being the drive letters and
> directories?
>
> As indicated, drive H is a Kingston memory stick.
>
> I get "application error ......" when I invoke SAveTo.4

Utterly off the top of my head, and without testing,
line 2 is first checking for the existence of
c:\C:\xy4\docs\*.*, then saving to another location,
viz. h:\files. Does H:\files indeed exist? Does My
Computer recognize it? Have you first fixed the
REgistry Key SAVETo?

But then, looking at my own Xy registry, I realize the
SAveTO routine assumes your Xy directory is on the
FireWire (or flash, or USB, or whatever) drive.
Reasonably enough if you're running Xy off that drive
(as I do on the XP box at the office, and as others
have mentioned doing). But if you're just saving to it
as backup or for sneaker-net transfer, the Xy directory
may'nt be there. In that case, you'd want to save to it
as if it were a floppy (with no directory specified) or
else alter your Reg key to reflect the directories you
have there (which I wouldn't do; they change too often,
and I have 2 flash drives that get the same letter;
never tried using both at once, and doubt I could under
9x). Of course, I'm fanatical about keeping my data
separate from my apps; even templates and boilerplate
files go on the data drive or (on idiot 1-partition
boxes) in the data folder.

By the by, I have lately started creating shortcuts to
all my drives (7 and counting on this box)) on my
Taskbar. That way, no matter what app is running (so
long as it's windowed, and that's another reason I
prefer windowed apps), I can always get a listing and,
if it's a removable drive, make sure it's being
recognized. Directions available in 98 if anyone needs
them.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@Eskimo.com