Re: SAveTo question.

 Please read the interpolated comments below.
 Thanks you. MWP

-----
On Thu, 15 Jun 2006, Patricia M. Godfrey wrote:

> M.W. Poirier wrote:
> >>From XYWWWEB.REG
> >
> > [SAveTo]
> > ;Normal SAve:
> > SAveTo.1=BX sa/nvQ2 BX waitQ2
> > ;SAve To FireWire example:
> > SAveTo.2=BX exist F:\XY4\*.*Q2 BX sa/nv F:\XY4\ Q2 BX waitQ2 <--- 1
> > ;SAve To remote FTP dir:
> > SAveTo.3=JM 2.putftpQ2
> > ;Save To Hard Drive and Memory Stick:
> > SAveTo.4=BX exist C:\xy4\docs\*.*Q2 BX sa/nv H:\files\ Q2 BX waitQ2 <--- 2
> >
> > If line identified as 1 is correct, what is wrong with the line that is
> > identified as 2, ...which was lifted from the relevant section of
> > XYWWWEB.INF file, the only modifications being the drive letters and
> > directories?
> >
> > As indicated, drive H is a Kingston memory stick.
> >
> > I get "application error ......" when I invoke SAveTo.4
>
> Utterly off the top of my head, and without testing,
> line 2 is first checking for the existence of
> c:\C:\xy4\docs\*.*, then saving to another location,
> viz. h:\files. Does H:\files indeed exist? Does My
> Computer recognize it? Have you first fixed the
> REgistry Key SAVETo?

 The answer to both of your questions us "yes." The
 passage quoted above is from XYWWWEB.REG, except for
 SAveTo.4 and the line above it. SAveTo.4 is taken
 from the SAveTo entry in XYWWWEB.INF, deposited in
 the REG file, and, of course, modified to suit my
 system.

> But then, looking at my own Xy registry, I realize the
> SAveTO routine assumes your Xy directory is on the
> FireWire (or flash, or USB, or whatever) drive.

 Really? It's curious how we read things in a manner
 to suit our needs of the moment. I understood that
 the numerics after the initial SAveTo.# were for
 different setups and different uses. If one wanted
 to copy a file from C:\xy4\docs\ directory to the
 files subdirectory on H:, then one would invoke
 SAveTo.4 by writing that on the command line followed
 by the . Alternatively, one would select,
 say SAveTo.2 for a different purpose. Although, it
 seems to me that a change of drives and directory
 names could make #2 and #4 the same. But maybe I am
 wrong.

> Reasonably enough if you're running Xy off that drive
> (as I do on the XP box at the office, and as others
> have mentioned doing). But if you're just saving to it
> as backup or for sneaker-net transfer, the Xy directory
> may'nt be there. In that case, you'd want to save to it
> as if it were a floppy (with no directory specified) or

 But you could also want to save it to the directory
 C:\xy4\docs (the usual place) and to a memory stick
 with a sub-dirctory specification, ...no? This is
 what I want to do. I have modified the REG file for
 that purpose, it seems to me.

 Maybe I should ask this question: What do you write
 on the command line to execute the sort of save that
 I am trying to achieve? I am assuming that what one
 writes is "saveto.4" followed by the  on the
 assumption that it will trigger the line in the REG
 file? And it is than that I get the message "appli-
 cation error ......