Free Virtual PC

This is from a newsletter I get (LangaList). It sounds like something that would be of interest to several members of
this group.

-Brian H.

There is a free virtual machine package - free as in open source, in fact. It's called
"Bochs" and it is found at
http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

Here's the front webpage's summary:

"Bochs is a highly portable open source IA-32 (x86) PC emulator written in C++, that runs on
most popular platforms. It
includes emulation of the Intel x86 CPU, common I/O devices, and a custom BIOS. Currently, bochs can
be compiled to
emulate a 386, 486 or Pentium CPU. Bochs is capable of running most Operating Systems inside the
emulation including
Linux, Windows 95, DOS, and recently Windows NT 4. ... The 'typical' use of bochs is to provide
complete x86 PC
emulation, including the x86 processor, hardware devices, and memory. This allows you to run OS's
and software within
the emulator on your workstation, much like you have a machine inside of a machine. For instance,
let's say your
workstation is a Unix/X11 workstation, but you want to run Win'95 applications. Bochs will allow you
to run Win 95 and
associated software on your Unix/X11 workstation, displaying a window on your workstation,
simulating a monitor on a PC.
"

Note that although the summary doesn't mention it, there is a screenshot deeper in the site that
shows W2K running on
Bochs running on W2K.