Re: Free "Virtual PC"

This is very interesting. Thanks for the info!

Mimi Gauthier LeBien

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Henderson"
To: "Xywrite Group (E-mail)"
Sent: Sunday, September 14, 2003 8:08 PM
Subject: Free "Virtual PC"

> This is from a newsletter I get (LangaList). It sounds like something that
would be of interest to several members of
> this group.
>
> -Brian H.
>
> There is a free virtual machine package - free as in open source, in fact.
It's called "Bochs" and it is found at
> http://bochs.sourceforge.net/
>
> Here's the front webpage's summary:
>
> "Bochs is a highly portable open source IA-32 (x86) PC emulator written in
C++, that runs on most popular platforms. It
> includes emulation of the Intel x86 CPU, common I/O devices, and a custom
BIOS. Currently, bochs can be compiled to
> emulate a 386, 486 or Pentium CPU. Bochs is capable of running most
Operating Systems inside the emulation including
> Linux, Windows 95, DOS, and recently Windows NT 4. ... The 'typical' use
of bochs is to provide complete x86 PC
> emulation, including the x86 processor, hardware devices, and memory. This
allows you to run OS's and software within
> the emulator on your workstation, much like you have a machine inside of a
machine. For instance, let's say your
> workstation is a Unix/X11 workstation, but you want to run Win'95
applications. Bochs will allow you to run Win 95 and
> associated software on your Unix/X11 workstation, displaying a window on
your workstation, simulating a monitor on a PC.
> "
>
> Note that although the summary doesn't mention it, there is a screenshot
deeper in the site that shows W2K running on