STACK

I downloaded STACKNEW.ZIP, which looks very exciting and attractive.
Mouth-watering, indeed. I have two problems. I sent you a BITNET message
about the first one.

1. STACK.DOC describes a file called ENTER.PGM, and stakini tries to load it.
The downloaded STACKNEW.ZIP is 15,872 bytes. It does not contain ENTER.PGM.

2. I cannot make the program show me a stack, and am wondering if you have any
suggestions. I have read STACK.DOC carefully (I think). I put
&S and &U in the .KBD file in place of XC and BC. (I didn't know one could do
this with the F keys.) I made sure CU and CD were in 72 and 80. I put STAKINI
in the startup file, and it, STACK, and UNSTACK in the right directory. I
tried the B files as well. Not having the ENTER file I made sure I was using
what used to be XC.

I use a strange KBD file which is a modified version of the NOTA BENE one,
further modified for use with the left hand only (one-shot, plus things shifted
around and a lot of command-line menu programs). F10 is XC and F8 is BC; F5 is
save. Enough to drive most XyWriters crazy. I saw no reason why the stack
program shouldn't work with this, but I tried it with IBM.KBD also. Same
results. I use 4DOS instead of COMMAND.COM. That shouldn't matter, but I
tried booting with COMMAND.COM. Same results.

I'd think the program wasn't doing anything at all, but the &S and &U F keys
are functioning in place of XC and BC. So it is loaded on these keys as
intended. If I take stakini out of the STARTUP file the keys give the error
message "no save get."

This is the kind of situation where the stupid thing you are doing or failing
to do suddenly strikes you the next morning at 5:45. But I don't see what to
try next and thought maybe you've run into it before.