RE: A very basic printing question re XY3

Altruism isn't religious, it's built-in (well...built-into some people).
Religion just takes advantage our good nature.
(and our need to celebrate the winter solstice...btw)

I think religion takes advantage of the evil (irrational) in some people's nature. If altruism isn't based on religion, what is it based on? I've been unable to find *argument* (good or bad) for altruism in the history of philosophy. It's just taken as self-evident (because of the influence of religion). It's hard to think of what *could* be an argument for "non-you" as the standard of morality.

"Why is it moral to serve the happiness of others, but not your own? If enjoyment is a value, why is it moral when experienced by others, but immoral when experienced by you? If the sensation of eating a cake is a value, why is it an immoral indulgence in your stomach, but a moral goal for you to achieve in the stomach of others?" (Atlas Shrugged, p. 1031)

-BrianH.

-----Original Message-----  From: Harry Binswanger

Good for Jobs! I guess he learned from the parable of his namesake that there's no point in buying into the ethics of He Who Toys With Us.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx