Re: XyWin stops working

Robert Holmgren wrote:

Paul, many NT systems have this problem. Typically, if you
launch XW.EXE from a command line, there is a brief pause, then
nothing. I have traced filesystem accesses during this
interval, I know that XW.EXE actually opens, but it traps on
something and then closes itself -- and I can't figure out what
causes the trap.
Yes, there are two separate problems here: on some XP systems,
XyWin won't run at all, from the get-go. I suspect a hardware
component, but not enough people know enough about their hardware
to let me accumulate a sufficient amount of data to even hazard a
hypothesis.
But in your case, it did run and then it doesn't. Robert's point
about updates is well-taken (of course), but I had that happen to
me a couple of times on Win98--and I never go near the
Microsludge site on my own machine. But we do realize that
Windows is always changing: every time it boots the Registry is
rewritten. In 98 I suspected a chunk of memory being occupied
that XyWin was trying to use. But that should be impossible in
NT. Unless...Windows recognizes XyWin as a Windows, not a DOS
app, to the extent that is creates a lnk, not a pif, when you
create a shortcut. I'm in 98 right now. Can anybody who can run
XyWin under XP tell us if there is, in fact, and NTVDM
"enclosing" it? Or just WOWKIT?
NB Process Explorer, a free util, is much better than TaskManager
for tracking this kind of thing down.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx