Re: xy windows

Reply to note from Mark_D_Garvey@xxxxxxxx Thu, 10 Dec
1998 07:59:05 -0500

-> One of xy's few inconveniences, for me, has been the necessity,
-> when copying and pasting chunks of text from one xy window to
-> another, to be in adjacent windows (i.e., you can paste into a
-> new window only if you've just come from the window you're
-> bringing text from). For whatever reason--looking through the
-> intervening directory, or whatever--I very often end up at my
-> destination window unable to dump the text I'd copied. I have
-> to then Ctr+F10 and get myself back in order.
->
-> I'm working in xy3+. Does xy4 have the same limitation? Any
-> default settings or easy work-arounds I ought to know about?

There's a program called KB for Xy3 (which has metamorphosed into a
much more powerful routine, called XMACRO, for Xy4) that lets you
write impromptu keyboard-style macros on the command line for
immediate execution. Thus, to go directly to window #3, copy
DeFined text and return to the original window, and cancel the
DeFine, you'd enter the following:

KB #3,CP,AS,YD

It's available at XyWWWeb (search for "KBDMAC3.PM"); requires v3.55
or later.

If it's of interest, the v4 incarnation, allows full-blown XPL, on
the CMline, like this:

XM DZ[if[va$de]>0],#3CPASYD[ei]

At XyWWWeb, search for XMACRO.PM.

Carl Distefano