Off topic: flash drives and DOS diehards

Speaking of Flash drives, I thought some here might be amused to know
that the one I got myself (and another for a friend) is perfectly visible
to DOS: gives me a directory, XCOPIES, XyWrite sees it--but Windows My
Computer resolutely insists it doesn't exist. It's there in Control
Panel, so the problem is probably in drive-letter assignments (very
interesting and helpful item in Robert's post--about the hob subst can
play, and about the list in the Registry; talk about serendipity). But
the tech support people are among the most clueless I've ever
encountered: cannot imagine a system with letters C through I in use, nor
that unusual drives are often classed as SCSI. (And no, they're not
"offshored"; pure Middle American.)

Fortunately, I was able to create a desktop shortcut, which is all I ever
use for GUI drive access. In case anyone else should have a similar
problem, here's my m.o.
copied an existing drive shortcut (that to my ZIP drive); changed the
target from H:\ to J:\, changed the icon so I'd know at a glance, then
RENAMEd it.

Patricia M. Godfrey
PMGodfrey@xxxxxxxx