Win95 memory for XyDOS

I am running XyDOS 4.017, XyWin 4.12, LaTeX and Library Master on a
Compaq Aero (33MHz) with 12 megs memory. As computers go these days,
this is not much power, so I'm always looking for ways to make it
(and XyWrite) more efficient.

Following the recommendations of Harry Hahne from Library Master
(a DOS program) I tried changing my config.sys file from:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM
DOS=UMB
DOS=HIGH
FILES=50
SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM C:\ /E:2048 /P
LASTDRIVE=M

to:

FILES=50
SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM C:\ /E:2048 /P
LASTDRIVE=M

To my surprise, when I went to DOS and ran the command
MEM/C | MORE, the largest executable program size had gone from 594K
to 598K even though nothing was now in upper memory. While 4K isn't
much, I was surprised that I hadn't lost a significant amount of
memory (as I would have with Win3.1). Whether this affects XyWrite is
another question, of course.

(And yes, I know OS/2 would give me even more! But I'm not sure it
could run comfortably in 12megs. Win95 does, at least when using
CPU-hogs XyDOS and XyWin. I have never been aware of a problem
caused by XyWrite's love affair with the CPU.)

Yours for more efficient computing (and tighter coding, please!!!),

Myron