XY and on-line sessions

I believe I sent a general message, which failed to get through (i. e., I
failed in my very ability to send it), thanking everyone for their
counsel. It is for just that reason that I feel badly, returning for a
bit of clarification. And, please, remember that I am quite unevolved
software- and hardwarewise. That is, I am often mystified.

I have reviewed the messages regarding multitasking with OS/2, that is,
running an online-library session at the same time I am incorporating the
data in my bibliography (in XY 3+ of course, or 4 if necessary). There
appeared to be a conflict, whether this can be done on OS/2 or only on
OS/2 Warp? May I choose the former? (I do not have to employ any complex
graphics or create elaborate layouts. Since I must buy a new machine, now,
unexpectedly, I am trying to contrive the least expensive configuration
that still works. I know, unwise but . . .) I was told IBM will no longer
"support" OS/2 but when I get through to them, will ask.

Second, and this is a bit off the path. I'm currently making my way to you
via Pine and a text-based shell account. I uploaded a file to my unix "home"
but I cannot "get" it (translate it) into Pine or Pico so that it can be
editorially tinkered with prior to sending it off as mail. From what I can
glean from the Pico help section this is probably not possible.

However, were I to use OS/2 presumably, as a GUI, I could switch my
internet-access account to slip or ipp (distinction not wholly clear to
me--in terms of preference) and thus--God save the mark--see accents (my
bibliographical work is rife with 'em). Additionally, would I be able to
upload text files, written in 3+ or 4, edit them in some simple fashion
within the context of a "browser" and then send them off?

I realize that this may be a too-simple (i.e, uninteresting) conundrum. I
am, let's face it, torn between the computer-learning curve, screeching
thataway, and the earning-a-living curve, wobbling off in the other
direction. And then of course there's rebuilding the falling-down house
halfway up the half-eroded mountain, plus working on my collected
posthumous works.

Listen: thanks for your patience!

Regards,

Alarik