Re: logon with XY 3.58

Ah! So the log was the extension, not the filename. Thanks much.

In the back of my fuzzed up brain I seem to recall that you once
explained how to remove the feature altogether. This, too, I have
forgot, although my startup.int file has that line commented out.

Carl Distefano wrote:

Reply to note from Leslie Bialler Wed, 18 Aug 2004 10:22:39 -0400
[LOGON] probably works as in XY4. You need to create a file called LOG, and as I remember give it an extension that matches the three-letter login you want to use.
Nope, no cigar. You need to create, in the directory with EDITOR.EXE, an empty file called [name].LOG, substituting for [name] your desired username (8 chars max, of course). The .LOG extension is mandatory. Then, in STARTUP.INT, add the following line at or near the top of the file: BC login [name] or, in Xy4+: BX login [name]Q2 ;*; where [name] is the .LOG filename. Quit and restart Xy. You will no longer be prompted to log in. Here's the interesting part: [name].LOG need NOT be empty. It can have content: any legal XPL code, just like STARTUP.INT. In fact, what LOGIN [name] (or LOGON [name]) does is to RUN [name].LOG. This makes it easier for multiple users to share a single XyWrite workstation, each with his own keyboard, save/gets, default settings, etc. Suppose that MARY.LOG contains the following lines (Xy4): BX load [d:\path\]mary.kbdQ2 ;*; BX ldsgt [d:\path\]mary.sgtQ2 ;*; BX copy/nv [d:\path\]mary.set [d:\path\]settings.dflQ2 ;*; BX load [d:\path\]settings.dflQ2 ;*; BX load [d:\path\]mary.u2Q2 ;*; When Mary logs in (LOGIN MARY), Editor RUNs those commands, enabling Mary's customizations. Think of .LOG as a personalized STARTUP.INT that doesn't require quitting and restarting XyWrite. It's a useful feature, not a gimmick. One other thing: For password-protected logins, embed the password in a LaBel () at the top (or bottom) of the .LOG file. Then, to log in, Mary will have to issue LOGIN MARY password, or type the (case-sensitive) password in response to LOGIN's PRompt. No real security there, but that's how it works.
-- Leslie Bialler, Columbia University Press lb136@xxxxxxxx 61 W. 62 St, NYC 10023 212-459-0600 X7109 (phone) 212-459-3677 (fax)
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/cup