RE: PM to INND to something else (not so much)

wouldn't mind seeing if it's as user-friendlier as it seems.

InDesign? Let us know what you think when you've worked with it a bit.

That said, it's basically the only way to go forward with legacy PM files.
EXCEPT: on the Mac, I always keep a Classic partition available so that, on a G4 that will boot classic, I can use OS 8.1 to work with PM 65 seamlessly, with full automatic font support from ATM, etc. etc. etc. Obviously only for legacy projects. But it works like a dream. NO PROBLEMS. For various reasons, primarily fi/fl ligature support, I never seriously used PM65 on Windows.
Conversion from layout programs is a nightmare. Had XyWrite continued
to evolve, as it was evolving, into a more and more capable layout
program, whilst still preserving its simple embedded-within-text
stream model, _what_ a wonderful, repairable, stable format we would
have had for the future! So many projects in Quark and InDesign get
corrupted and have to be rebuilt from scratch because of problems
that by definition could not occur in a XyWrite-based system. Perhaps
all the new features of layout programs couldn't be built within such
constraints? I don't think so. I think it could be done. And should be done.