Re: XyWrite to Go?

>At the moment, TTG seems to be at the opposite end of the continuum from MS:
>"`The Internet is the primary driver of all new work we are doing throughout
>the product line,' and `We are hard-core about the Internet'" are NYTimes
>quotes from that Gates press conference a couple of weeks ago). How much

  Gates thought he was going to be able to control it -- finally
had to face up to the fact that his lame Blackbird and ViBasic
weren't going to make it as major WWW players tho, didn't he? Sun
and Netscape sure took care of that.

>longer do you believe TTG can afford to proceed as though an email address
>were an adequate 'net presence for a developer? The question is not
>rhetorical.   --A

  What is really difficult for me to understand, Annie, is how a
product like XY, with all the technological lead that they had
which made it an absolute natural for coming out top-dog in the
HTML world, could fall so badly behind. I see web-editors coming
out of the woodwork everywhere I look
-- so many I can't believe it, and not even a beta out from TTG.
How hard can it be to add HTML functions to a keyboard, menu, and
printer files? I've got those functions added on to Describe,
Emacs, EPM (the built-in OS/2 editor) and have seen at least 3 or
4 fully new web-editors for OS/2 alone that have come out in the
last 6 months, with others for Linux and Macs I haven't even
looked at. And with all the big bucks to be made with WWW -- a
friend of mine, just 21, got kicked out of college last Spring
for hacking, now is a partner in a operation doing the web pages
for Fortune 500 companies. Land Rover just paid them $150,000 for
their web pages. People get paid $100 an hour for doing web
pages. Websmiths would pay well for an exceptional tool -- what
XY was for the print world.
  Get with it, TTG!

-- Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx

hoka hey!

Copyright, Harmon F. Seaver, 1995. License to distribute this
post is available to Microsoft for US$1,000 per instance, or
local equivalent.