Re: Consistency of keystrokes--Xy and Win

Harry Binswanger wrote:
I suppose the other solution would be to set up the Xy .kbd file to use the Windows shortcut keys for Xy functions--e.g., to assign TF to ctrl-Home and EL (express left) or LB (line begin) to Home.

What do you do?

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx
Well, when Xy4 came out, the CUA keyboard incorporated a lot of those "Windows-style" combos. And as WordImPerfect also used many of them (e.g., Ctrl=home for TOF), I'm afraid I spinelessly caved. XyWrite is my most useful tool, but it isn't and never has been my only one. And being hand-mind-coordination-challenged, I could NEVER have managed a whole slew of different keyboard combos.
But I was telling a Mac and Word user today about some of the really
useful things this "archaic" DOS word processor can do. Like search and
replace for l and any letter, any letter and l, O and any letter, any
letter and O (when I was editing an OCR'd piece where all the ones and
zeros got converted into ohs and ells), and use CV to get something set
up with tabs and hard returns into column tables. She was awestruck.
Look, isn't the important thing that in XyWrite we CAN change almost any
keystroke we want? So it makes sense to change XyWrite's to agree with
the ones that we CAN'T change. IMHO.

Patricia M. Godfrey