spell checker path error ?

Y'all,

When I call the SPELL checker from the command line, I get the following
error message: "file not found c:\winnt\system32\wb." At that point the
line is truncated and I cannot see what file it is that xy is not
finding. The final folder in the path would be 'wbem' which contains w2k
exe files and dlls, nothing to do with xy. Xy is located on a separate
partition (d) to the boot partition (c). If, on the command line, I CD
to the partition and folder where editor.exe is located, the SPELL
checker works fine. But that's not the partition/folder where my text
files are located, and it's a bit of a nuisance to have to manually
change the directory to use the SPELL checker. Below is startup.int:

BC default bk=0XC
BC default pl=54,60,50XC
BC default dr=d:XC
BC cm d,w,pXC
BC ldsgt d:\xy\HTMLKEYS.SAVXC
BC ldprn d:\xy\DRIVER1.PRNXC
BC ldkbd d:\xy\NEW.KBDXC
BC ldhelp d:\xy\LONG.HLPXC
BC ldsp d:\xy\DICT.SPLXC
BC e:XC
BC cd \textXC
BC

All box-standard xy3+ stuff there. The relevant xy program files are
packed into d:\xy\; text files are in e:\text; the OS, w2k, is on c:\.

Does anyone have ideas or suggestions why the xy SPELL command seems to
be locking horns with c:\winnt\...\wbem, and what I should change to get
the spell checker to work from my preferred partition\folder (e:\text)?

Thanks,