Re: Re Tame 5.7 etc

I've never had to make any allowance before. I run XY4 under Windows
2000 and if I want 28 lines I set d sl=-28 and set 28 lines in the
shortcut properties. Similarly with 43 lines and 50 lines. That works
fine for me every time. It is only with Tame that I've found this
anomolous behaviour.

Paul

Patricia M. Godfrey wrote:
Paul Breeze wrote:
So far it only exhibits one strange piece of behaviour. In order to get, say, 28 lines in Tame I have to set 3 more in XYWrite (ie d sl=31). This seems to happen generally, so that to get 43 lines I need to set 46, etc. I have no explanation for this, nor can I find anything within the configuration that might be responsible.

This is a standard Xy "feature," which has been commented on here
several times. One must allow for the command, prompt, and ruler lines (as Robert noted on 6/2/03; see also his post on 12/27/2003, in which he explains that the number of lines is limited by BIOS constrants). From tests I have been running on the office XP boxes, it looks as if when you run windowed mode, XP or Xy deducts a further two lines for the title bar: If I set SL (in properties and in Xy defaults) to 43 lines, 38 are all that display on the part of the screen where one's data file is typed and displayed.

Or possibly this is simply a function of that screen BIOS?

N.B. When testing all this I use an easily created file:
Command Ne sltest.txt
Command
VA SL
C1
Follow it with a CR, then define that line and copy it till you have as many as you think your max. sL is likely to be. SAve it, then CAll it whenever you want to test screen lengths. You can immediately see how many are displaying.

Now that's all native Xy. How Tame may affect it, I have no idea.