Re: Mac and Xy

Robert Holmgren wrote:
for the fun of thumbing my nose at Apple's insistence that I use
their hardware, I installed Tiger (which is a LOT less
resource-hungry than Leopard) as the base OS on a three year old
Thinkpad T60 (after wiping Windows). It runs fine.
Really?! Has anyone run a Mac OS on an AMD CPU? (Mac's unholy
alliance with Intel really bugs me.)

I really fail to see the virtue of trading one proprietary OpSys
for another -- especially a hybrid like OS X
(Mach/FreeBSD-NEXT). It is supremely irritating to be able to
run *nix packages on a Mac, but not be able to run Mac packages
on *nix. Totally ticks me off, and seems insane too.
If you will forgive the allusion, Amen, Brother. They're both monopolistic tyrants, but Mac is a more successful tyrant.
What annoys me no end, in all opsyses and apps, is the continual
forced "upgrading." Once you get everything working as you want
it, you should be able to stay at that state until you _need_ to
add features--not whenever some corporation decides its coffers
need an infusiion of cash. Abandonware forever!

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx