Re: Can v. 112 of Jumbo U2 Crash OS/2 ?

Robert Holmgren wrote:

> > I suspect we have a red herring here, variations won't make enough
> > of a difference, and that Steve Crutchfield's theory is correct.
>
> Maybe. But the OS crash comes when you open XyWrite, correct?

Yes, and usually on the second session (launching) from the program object. I have
*always* run Xy as a fullscreen seamless session.

> *Only* when you open XyWrite -- correct?

Well, yes, but bear in mind that hardly anything has been installed or migrated into
the new ECS partition as of this writing. And I'm not real enthusiastic about
installing it all until stability has been assured for the basics. I have tons of
DOS and Win-16 app.s installed in the "production" (Warp 4) partition, not to
mention a long list of OS/2 app.s and utilities, all of which runs great. Who knows
what other things might fail, were they present in the ECS partition right now ?
(Assuming the SDD Pro is susceptible to certain software conflicts.)

> that's $M+6=16Kb *with* U2, right? (That's acceptable, certainly.) I don't see
> a finger pointing at the GRADD drivers...

There are a number of one-shot tests I can run, to prove this one way or another,
but it will take some time. Each time something I test ends in an os Trap, I have
to do a hardware Reset, and wait for CHKDSK to do its thing scanning about 7 HPFS
partitions. That's enough down time for a leisurely coffee break.

> One other possibility, which has affected me on two new machines. Apparently
> modern CPUs are so fast, and XyWrite loads so quickly, that the hardware can't
> keep up with the brain. I have had to deliberately SLOW DOWN my STARTUP.INT,
> with a liberal sprinkling of "BX p 1Q2 " commands -- one second pauses in
> processing -- throughout.

I'll keep that in mind, but if this has never been required in the other bootable
partitions (which all use the native Matrox drivers instead of SDD) . . . .

> If I don't, XyWrite crashes the VDM (but not the whole OS).

Another big distinction. Crashing VDMs would be a mild symptom compared to this.

> It is worth a try, especially if you have a fast CPU, say 700MHz or
> faster. Does the crash come right at the start of loading XyWrite, when you
> click the icon, or at some later moment in processing of STARTUP.INT?

My current cpu is a P3 / 850. The crash occurs immediately after double-clicking on
the Xy desktop icon -- again, not always the first time the program is launched, but
always no later than the 2nd. time. This happens so fast I don't think Startup has
even gotten off the starting block.

Jordan