From: Robert Holmgren
To: xywrite
Subject: Re: Can v. 112 of Jumbo U2 Crash OS/2 ?
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 10:00:21 -0400

** Reply to message from "J. R. Fox"  on Tue, 23 Jul
2002

21:09:10 -0800

> I suspect we have a red herring here, variations won't make enough
> of a difference, and that Steve Crutchfield's theory is correct.

Maybe. But the OS crash comes when you open XyWrite, correct? *Only* when
you
open XyWrite -- correct? In a Desktop window, or FullScreen (console VGA)?
And
that's $M+6=16Kb *with* U2, right? (That's acceptable, certainly.) I don't
see

a finger pointing at the GRADD drivers...

One other possibility, which has affected me on two new machines.
Apparently
modern CPUs are so fast, and XyWrite loads so quickly, that the hardware
can't
keep up with the brain. I have had to deliberately SLOW DOWN my
STARTUP.INT,

with a liberal sprinkling of "BX p 1Q2 " commands -- one second pauses in
processing -- throughout. If I don't, XyWrite crashes the VDM (but not the
whole OS). It is worth a try, especially if you have a fast CPU, say 700MHz
or

faster. Does the crash come right at the start of loading XyWrite, when you
click the icon, or at some later moment in processing of STARTUP.INT? Not
enuf

info...

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx