Off topic new pc

My computer died this weekend and I have to get a new one.  I would appreciate any advice on hardware, particlularly on where to buy.  I am not concerned that it be a name brand.

My major use of the computer is either (1) writing legal papers or correspondence in xywrite where my format ie margins and fonts, never vary, conveerting them into wordperfect 5.1 for printing in either times roman or universal condensed on two hp5 printers (2) research and downloading material from lexis or westlaw in pure txt which I always print out in the same format, (3) converting documents that I have written into pdf format for electronic filing with courts,(4) sending and receiving email and (5) surfing the internet through a dsl line.  Since I do not toggle back and forth much between xywrite and windows applications and print in word perfect I have not had any major  problems running xywrite in windows xp professional in maximum or full screen.  I have an external 160 gig hard drive so I never have a problem being backed up.

The computer that just died was a no name pc with a 2.2 gigahrz amd processor, 1 gig of ram, a 50 gig hardrive that was less than 50% used, a cd burner  and a dvd burner which I very very rarely used, a dsl modem with a wireless router and a dial up modem.  I expect to buy something like that again but with two gigs of ram since it seemed to meet my needs and will continue to use fat32.  Any suggestions on whther I should stay with Xp or go back to windows 2000 or dual boot using xp and another operating system.