Re: long filenames

Thomas J Hawley wrote:
The one enduring thing that Xywrite gave us was the command line interface,
which is remarkably efficient.
Just as valuable, if not more so, is the fact that EVERYTHING in a Xy
data file is visible, accessible, manually changeable. Formatting code,
"hidden" text--the whole megillah. WordPerfect at least lets you SEE the
stuff, even if there's often little you can do about it. Big Brother
Bill doesn't think dumb end users need to see that stuff. Of course, for
the last two or three "upgrades" of Word, M$ has been promising an
"open" format (first it was XML, now it's something else, the exact name
of which escapes me), but somehow it never appears in the shipping
version. Actually, I think they did implement the XML, but it is buried
so deep--and is so badly constructed (redundant formatting codes to a
fare-thee-well)--as to be useless.
By the bye, Carl did come up with a WordPerfect macro that lets one use
some of the Xy-type Command Line functions in WP.

Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx