Re: OT: Anti-virus, Internet security software

Flash wrote:
AV software does slow down the processor,
Actually, I haven't noticed processor degredation so much as modem, and
that only at connection. Mind, I'm running a dialup Internet connection,
and when I log on to my ISP's servers, there is a definite "hang," when
nothing seems to be happening (I have an external modem, so can both see
 the connection lights and hear the dialup and handshaking, as well as
watching the activity on the tray icons for ZA and the DUN). I assume
that either PCCillan is trying to get to its own site to update its
signatures, or ZA is double checking everything (I should turn alerts
back on, but having told it not to let Exploiter or Outtaluck Express do
ANYTHING on line, I don't feel I need to be told that they tried to).
On the other hand, it could simply be the local Telco circuits or the
ISPs local servers' being overloaded. When I was visiting my brother in
California, and checking my e-mail on an antequated and underpowered
laptop, I got much faster connections. But I had ZA installed, but
didn't bother with AV, so there's no real proof, one way or the other.

Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx