Re: which computer - win98se update

Yes and no.
With 98se, my hardware manages usb mice ok, a
palmtop badly and a usb memory key not at all.
(The latter being the only one which is
specifically usb 2.0).

And 98se wasn't able to do any better on an IBM
motherboard which ran it with no problems under
Win 2k.

It depends a lot on the hardware - the chipset on
the motherboard. Via chips are known to be fussy,
even in add-on cards. For these, Nec ones are
apparently better.

Several Linux distributions make usb work on the
same hardware without problems, but I haven't
checked whether the transfers are at usb2 rates.

Amongst windows versions, the consensus is that XP
is best for usb.

John

Philip Friedman wrote:
thanks John. Can I assume it runs USB2? -----Original Message----- From: John Sent: Oct 2, 2005 1:43 PM To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx Subject: Re: which computer - win98se update There's a Win98se update available at: - http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html or - http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4131.html It's a (12 Mb) private compilation of the important updates supplied by MS (before they stopped supporting 98se). I've been using it for some time and find the system is more solid. John J R FOX wrote: