Re: vDosXy color modes

Reply to note from flash  Thu, 19 Nov 2015 20:59:23
+0100

flash,

> Does this mean that the config.txt file effectively replaces the
> old .PRN file? Is the .PRN file now useless/deletable?

No, absolutely not. They are two different things. The CONFIG color
command sets the 16 VGA colors, which in turn determine the colors
corresponding to Xy's 256 numbered MoDes. The PRinter file maps
numbered MoDes (colors) to Xy screen elements such as text (NorMal,
UnderLining, BOld, etc.), command-line, d:\path\filename, etc. You
can set both CONFIG and PRinter, either, or neither. If you set
neither, the VGA colors are the defaults, the Xy numbered MoDes are
set accordingly (the screen shot I posted last night), and the
mapping of colors to screen elements is done according to
Editor.exe's internal defaults. If you set either or both, *you*
determine either or both, VGA colors and the colors of the various
XyWrite screen elements.

Speaking of shades of gray, I'm attaching a screenshot of the color
table using ONLY the 16 available shades of gray in CONFIG.TXT/* and
NO PRinter file in XyWrite. Pretty, isn't it? Note, also, that Editor
does some internal reassignment of MoDes that varies from the hex
Fg/Bg formula. MoDes 113, 183, 186, and 187, for example, stick out
like sore thumbs.

--
/* COLORS = #000000 #111111 #222222 #333333 #444444 #555555
#666666 #777777 #888888 #999999 #aaaaaa #bbbbbb #cccccc