Re: Footnote Size problem

≪ OF COURSE--I am still using XY 3. Maybe this is one of
the simple flexibilties of 3 plus that was lost when XY
became 4 ??

SAMPLE FROM MY PRINTER FILE FOR LASERJET 4L

[ ... ] ≫

≪ Simple it is. Flexible it isn't. If you're content
to use bitmapped fonts, you're fine. If you want to use
scalable fonts, fuhget it. Annie was right about a lot
of things, and one thing she harped on was the crumminess
of Xy3 PRN files, and the obvious solution: PostScript.
Fortunately, in Xy4+, you've got all these facilities at
your disposal (Speedo, TrueType, Adobe, also including your
solution--if bitmaps are adequate). --Robert Holmgren

Hello? Don't you just *love* having words put in your mouth?

I recognize that on this list any excuse or none to bash
v3 goes. But falsely attributing v3-bashing to *me* goes
a bit far. I regret being put in the position of having
to post to this thread with no solution (having not seen
the original query, I'm not even sure what the issue was),
but some clarification is called for.

The only way my enthusiasm for PostScript relates to the
quality of xyW3 drivers is that the way I use PS would be
impossible without xyW3's print driver pliancy, which I
treasure as much as anything in this remarkable release.

I've used xyW3 print drivers for purposes as diverse as
html and QuarkXPress tagging--and the integrated graphical
preview I've used since well before v4 was released. What
enables the last is PostScript, a standard I adopted moments
after I finished a monster xyW3 driver for my tabloid-format
Bubblejet, when by chance I read the single sentence that
demystified PS for me.

Out of the box, the PS driver should meet the needs of
folks who treat xyW3 as a word processor. I otoh dove right
into adapting a PS.PR3 that loads a Windows drawing app's
PostScript prolog--something that hardly could have
succeeded with a crummy driver, and something (it gives
me no pleasure to say) I was unable to get a xyDos4 driver
to do despite a lot of tweaking and time spent with the
documentation.

What I definitely have harped on is that software PostScript
solves the unsupported app/new printer dilemma--as explained
at my web site (URL in my sig). If TTG is churning out new
drivers for any version of xyWrite, that's news to me--but
I'm standardized on PS, so I don't follow TTG driver news
(nor could I, since Opera, as mine is configured with Java,
scripting, and cookies turned off, doesn't render the TTG site.)

Having not seen the original query maybe I shouldn't say
this, but as I understand PCL, fonts *are* scalable. If you
don't know how to scale them, Robert, that doesn't mean v3
can't. You too are right about a lot of things. But you've
told me some things were impossible that I've found to be
doable and richly fruitful; ironically, they were possible
because of work you'd done. If scaling PCL *is* the issue,
I suggest the subscriber who posted the query look for
XyQuest documentation on LJ2 or 3 in the TTG archive.
[I see new stuff on this matter appears in a xyDi that
just arrived, again more about xyW3-bashing than about
casting light on the prob--whatever it was. Inflexible,
etc, blahblahblah. Gimme a break.] ... Ciao.
				--right-about-a-lot-of-things annie